Monday, February 27, 2012

Walking not finishing a list

A friend called this morning and is going through a tough time.  She made the statement, "I wish God would just text me what to do!"  I have felt like that many times as a woman, a wife, a mother, and a friend.  We have 5 boys.  They all have processing issues and learning disabilities.  But, of course, none of them are the same!  There were many days when I didn't know how to help them.  I questioned our choice to homeschool.  I questioned our parenting approach, our curriculum, our ability to love them and get them through.  But I learned not to question God!  He grew me and the boys as we researched, tried new things, and laughed and cried together.  That was the making of relationship so much deeper than if God had just laid it all out to me and had told me to do 1, 2, 3. The journey allowed me to know how to encourage others as well.

Watchman Nee has a wonderful book called, "Sit, Walk, Stand."  It is a journey through Ephesians.  He explains how chapters 1-3 of Ephesians is about our position in heaven in Jesus.  He says that we must learn to sit at Jesus' feet before we are ready to walk the Christian walk. 2:6, "...and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus..."

Chapters 4-6:9 teach us how to walk.  4:1 "Therefore, I...implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called..." 5:1-2, "Therefore be imitators of God, as beloved children; and walk in love, just as Christ..." We must learn to walk before we are ready to stand against the devil in Ephesians 6:10 et al. "Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might.  Put on the full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the schemes of the devil."

 I sometimes get the order all mixed up!  I want to walk victoriously, but failed to sit at God's feet and spend time with Him first.  I want to stand against satan, but have not been disciplined in my walk.  I wish God would just text me the answer.  But we would miss out on the joy of the journey of relationship with our God.  We have the amazing privilege to be able to go before the throne of God with boldness, to call upon Him, to pray to Him, to hear from Him, to be comforted by our Savior. 

Forgive me Lord, when I take that for granted, ignore the privilege and then demand the rights. Help me to be still and know that you are God, then help me to walk daily, minute by minute with You, that You might give me the strength to stand. 

Hint for the day: Younger children need opportunities to train across the brain.  We all tend to use one side of the brain more heavily than the other. (Right brain is creative and emotional; left side is logical). This is why it is so important to make sure that your little achiever crawls before they walk.  It is not only physical training, but brain training! 
Some great activities to train the brain to go from one side to the other include getting a bucket of water and house paint brushes and let the kids "paint" the house making sure they use broad strokes that go from one their far right to the far left and back.  As their eyes track their hands, they are going across the ''Great Divide" in the brain.  Coloring, hand painting, etc. on very large sheets of paper from corner to corner or side to side is good as well.  Large motor skill writing in the sand, or playing with pudding on a cookie sheet, or watching a ball go back and forth without moving the head all cross train the brain.
This is all important pre-reading training.  When the eyes can track left to right and the brain can shift from side to side the child will be better able to track lines of text and not lose their place.  They will also be able to connect emotions to situations.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post, it was very encouraging to me today. Sometimes I feel as though I have really messed up training my children, but I know they are better off home with me than at school. I also know that God is faithful and if I do my best and rely on Him, He will work all things out for His good.
    Blessings to you,
    Rashel

    ReplyDelete