Thursday, February 23, 2012

The Holy Spirit

I don't know about you, but as I read the Old Testament, I can sure be judgmental.  If I was an Israelite back in the time of the Exodus, the timeof Jeremiah, etc., I would have been true to God!!!  But God reminded me this morning that we have a new covenant that these people did not have.  We have the Holy Spirit living within us, teaching us, training us, rebuking us, and comforting us.  We can have a relationship with God, they could not.  They stood afar off from Mt. Sinai as God spoke to Moses.  They had to go to the temple to offer sacrifices. 

Yes, the reward of their obedience was more tangible and more immediate - good land, good crops, material prosperity and peace.  But our reward is eternal and spiritually fulfilling.  We can have peace in our hearts in the midst of circumstantial chaos!!  We can talk to God, go before His throne, dance at His feet, know His presence, His comfort, His amazing love!!!  Jesus promised that in this life we would have trouble and tribulation, but that He would be with us through it.  Before you judge the Israelites too harshly, remember that we are so blessed to have the Holy Spirit living in us!!!  Don't take the Holy spirit for granted, make sure you work on that relationship and go before God and praise His Holy name.

Hint for the Day: I have a list for my chores (not just the kids!)  Laundry on Monday, ironing on Tuesday, floors on Wednesday, dusting on Thursday, pickup on Friday, bathrooms on Saturday.  True, I have to throw a load of laundry in just about every day, but when I do the bulk of it on Monday, the rest of the week is easy!!  By having a list, there is no guilt.  When the task is done, the rest of the time is for everything else.  This way I know it will all get done eventually.  (I often skip the Thursday dusting for a week or so - not my favorite thing!!)  When unexpected company drops by, I am not too embarrassed!  I asked my husband early in our marriage what needed to be done for him to feel comfortable.  He replied that if the dishes were done and the bed was made, he was fine.  I can do that !!!  And usually a whole lot more.  By giving myself a schedule that has lower expectations, I can meet them and do even more!  Kind of like extra credit on a test!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment