Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Fear


“God has not given us a spirit of fear,
but of love and power and discipline.”
2 Timothy 1:7

Fear is the opposite of faith.  But it is also a human emotion that must be brought under the authority of the cross by taking every thought captive and replacing Satan’s lies with God’s truth.  Fear often stems from the past.  Jesus is Lord over your past.  Give it to Him along with the fear.  He is Lord of your future.  Give it to Him along with your fear.

 I am afraid of bridges when driving in a car.  There is a bridge on I-10 in Louisiana that reaches the clouds before it comes back down!  The last time we went that way, I was driving and my husband was in the passenger seat sleeping.  As we approached that bridge I told myself that I was fine, that many cars over that bridge daily, that Jesus was with me, that I just needed to sing praises and trust God.  My mind was set on Christ.  My body, on the other hand, began to tremble and shake and I began to hyperventilate.  I finally woke my husband up and asked him to talk to me.  He talked me off the bridge and into the nearest exit.  I got out of the car and stood there shaking for about another 5 minutes.  But when it was over, I was able to laugh.  Fear, the emotion, took over, but faith won the day, and I think that I could handle that bridge if I ever have to again.  (Then again there is always an alternate route!)  That fear did not keep me from crossing over many other bridges since then.  This faith walk is a journey.  If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.  And remember that Jesus is Lord and will bring you love and power and discipline as you face your fears

No comments:

Post a Comment