Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Yielding

“Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.”  Phil. 4:6

Yield.  That’s a hard concept.  I know what I want.  But what if it is not what God wants?  I have to yield up my desires to God for what He knows is best for my children even if what is best for them is heartache and struggles.  I want one son to get to go to Howard Payne University, a private Christian college.  I want him to get to play soccer.  But I also know that God does not want us to get into debt.  If God does not supply money for this college, then he will live at home and go to the local state university.  God will have something there for him.  It may be ministry, it may be friends, or it may be a job.  I don’t know.  In my limited understanding, HPU looks like a better environment for Him.

I have a choice.  I can manipulate the circumstances.  I can and will pound the gates of heaven for him.  But, ultimately, I must decide to yield to God’s better plan, even when I don’t understand.

Great heartache came into one of our children’s lives a few years ago.  This came not from sin on his part but from sinful choices by another.  I have struggled with the why?  I have prayed for deep and lasting healing for my son and for all of us.  But God didn’t do what I wanted Him to.  God let me down.  Do I begin to not trust almighty God who is good?  Do I quit praying?  No.  I yield to Him knowing that He sees the big picture; that He is preparing my children for heavenly assignments by growing their trust and character here and now; that prayer does move the heart of God, but that God is sovereign.  He has the right to say, “No.”  I just don’t like it!  I want to stomp my foot and throw a tantrum.  I will instead yield.

Hint for the day: Teach your children when they are young that they can ask questions, but that you have the right to answer, “Yes, no, or not now.”  Show them with a hug that you love them no matter what the answer is.  This will lay the ground work for their relationship with God.  He will answer, “Yes, no, or not now,” but He always loves them.  Give a reason if you can for your answer.  Kids need to know the why’s when possible.  Sometimes, though the answer is, "Because I know what is best for you and even though you don’t understand, you will have to trust me.”  This prepares them to accept God’s answers and bigger plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment