Thursday, March 1, 2012

Judging

            Aren’t you glad that God made us all so different?  He sure had a sense of humor when he made me! Some of us have freckles, some have dark skin, and some light.  Some of us are extroverts and others are introverts.  Some laugh easily and sing a lot; others are quiet and shy.  Some of us need words of affirmation, and others just need a look of approval or a touch of love.

            The comments that I get after I speak are always interesting and reveals that we all have different needs. I recently facilitated a panel of couples on marriage for our local MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) group. I explained that I was facilitating instead of being on the panel because there was no way that my husband would ever want to get up in front of a group of beautiful young ladies and talk about his marriage. When I asked him he said that he would rather eat glass. (Now, in all honesty, my sweet husband would have jumped at helping to set up, to clean up or to cook, but he is not an up-in-front-of-groups person.)  We went on and had a great panel. The couples gave out lots of advice, answered lots of questions, and shared their own struggles and victories through Christ.  Afterwards a young lady came up to me and very timidly asked if it bothered me that my husband did not want to come and be on the panel.  I had just mentioned this in passing and there was a whole lot of other and, in my opinion, more pertinent information. I was surprised that she had picked up on this particular issue.  We spoke for a few minutes and I found out that her husband has the same personality and spiritual gift of service that my husband has.  This frustrates her, because she loves people and groups and speaking and going and doing. I assured her that God made us differently and that is okay! 

            Another time when I spoke at a women’s group about parenting, two moms came up to me afterwards.  Now remember, they had just sat through the same class.  The first one says to me, “Thank you, God really used you to confirm our decision to homeschool.”  The second lady then came up and said, “Thank you so much, now I know that homeschooling is definitely not for me!” 

            We are all different and that is good.  If we were all the same we wouldn’t need each other!  As Christians we sometimes judge one another on matters that really just come from our differences.  Things like dress, hair styles, how we celebrate different holidays, how we worship, and what translation of the Bible we use.  1 Corinthians 4:6b says, “…so that in us you may learn not to exceed what is written, so that no one of you will become arrogant in behalf of one against the other.” We are to agree on the principle matters of doctrine, but rejoice in our differences of personality, choices, dreams, and desires.  As long as what you do is for God’s glory and you do it with all your heart, then others are not to judge. (Romans 14:1-10)  We are to examine ourselves (2 Corinthians 13:5) and remember that “All things are lawful for me, but not all things are profitable.  All things are lawful for me, but I will not be mastered by anything.” (1 Corinthians 6:12)

             In this spirit, we are pleased to now offer our Practical Proverbs for Older Students and our Practical Proverbs for Younger Students in both New American Standard and in King James Version.  The wording may be different, but the message is the same!  Jesus is Lord; He saves; God loves us; we are free from condemnation and shame; and we have a home in heaven!  Whichever version you prefer, read it!  Get to know your God; He is waiting to remind you how much He loves you.

Hint of the day: I think that I am in need of a hint today!!!  How many directins can a mom go at one time?  Just one!  So, when things keep piling up faster than you  dig out from under, just keep doing the next thing next.  And, try doing it with a smile! (Not easy and sometimes impossible! - but a good goal)

No comments:

Post a Comment