Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quiet and Gentle Heart

"Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
 Like a wened child rests against his mother,
 My soul is like a weaned child within me." 
Psalm 131:2

I strived for years to have that gentle and quiet spirit that 1 Peter 3:4 speaks of.  Even though I didn't talk until I was 5 years old, my Dad was fond of saying, "She hasn't shut up since!"  I don't need a microphone on the ball field or in a gymnasium.  I love laughter, conversation, friendship, and shouting out loud praises to my God.  When I sing, I sing with gusto!  I began to put my perosnality before the Lord several years ago and ask Him to change me.  He confirmed in my heart that He made me just like I am and that that is okay! 

I tell people that God made each of us a tool to be used by Him.  If He made you a hand tool, be sure you are in the Master's hand.  If God made you a power tool, then be sure you are plugged into Him as your source!

Another metaphor that I have heard is that some of us are french horns and some of us are trumpets.  French horns let the air blow around for awhile inside and when it come out it is nice and mellow.  Trumpets just blare thngs out as they come in!  But let's face it, trumpets have the melody line more often!!!

Whether you are a hand tool or a power tool, a french horn or a trumpet, you can cultivate and have a quiet and gentle spirit within you.  That spirit comes from sitting with Jesus, being in the word, and trusting our amazing God with the big and little things of your heart.  Personality aside, God has begun a work of putting a quiet spirit inside of me.  I find it peaceful, restful, and exhilerating all at the same time.  When I take my troubles to God, lean against His breast in rest and trust and try to just be still, He fills me  up with love and joy.

I may always be a trumpet, but I am in tune with the Songwriter!

Hint for the Day: Kids come in all shapes and sizes with many different personalities.  Instead of trying to make your child an image of yourself, let them explore who God created them to be.  Let them try different activities - to fail or not to fail.  The fruit is in the trying.  Until age 12 we let our boys dabble in a lot of different activites.  At 12, we encouraged them to find one or two to excel at.  As they began to do this, they realized that they were not 'behind" others who had done that activity since they were 2.  God has led them into areas where they could excel.

No comments:

Post a Comment