Monday, July 22, 2013

Forgiveness

I found this verse as I was reading and praying about forgiving someone of a very hurtful debt that accumulated over many years and through many circumstances.  I have chosen to forgive and am laying it at the feet of Jesus, but I also know that it will be a battle for me to love this person with the love of Christ because I want to protect my own heart.  Oh yeah!  It’s not my own heart – I gave it to Jesus.  He can protect it or if it gets stomped on again, he can heal it.  Most of all, I want this person to experience all of God and what joy he has for her.  I don’t want Satan to get her heart or mine because of my unforgiveness.  Now if my emotions will just line up, I will be good to go!  God is able – one step at a time.

I know that this verse is spoken of by Paul, not by Jesus.  But the connection of forgiveness and not allowing Satan to take advantage is poignant.

“To this end I also wrote,
so that I might put you to the test,
whether you are obedient in all things. 
But one whom you forgive anything, I forgive also;
for indeed what I have forgiven, If I have forgiven anything, I did it for your sakes in the presence of Christ,
so that no advantage would be taken of us by Satan, for we are not ignorant of his schemes.”
2 Corinthians 3:9-11

I do not want bitterness to get the upperhand in my heart.  I know bitter old women, and I don’t want to be one!  So, Satan will not get the glory in this one, I choose to lay it at the cross.  I pray that if you have unforgiveness towards anyone for any reason, that you , too, will trust that person and your heart to Jesus and let Him care for you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment