Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Conviction

“For as long as life is in me…
My lips certainly will not speak unjustly,          
Nor will my tongue mutter deceit.
Far be it from me that I should declare you right;
Till I die, I will not put away my integrity from me.
I hold fast my righteousness and will not let it go.
My heart does not reproach any of my days.”
Job 27:26

Job is stating the above as his “friend” Bildad accuses him of evil doing.  Many believe, even today, that bad things only happen to bad people.  Television evangelists preach that if you are good enough, have enough faith, walk with Jesus, that nothing bad will happen to you.  This type of false teaching will lead to disillusionment and either a rejection of God or the belief that something is wrong with you.  Satan would have you believe this, but it is not true.  God’s word says that we will have tribulation.  It is part of the human condition – of living in Satan’s world that is under his authority. 

 God allows things to happen to us.  Sometimes, it is for our discipline.  That is why Job’s words above are important.  Look at that last line, “My heart does not reproach any of my days.”  This just means that Job went before God, asked God to show him if there was any sin that he had committed.  In the face of conviction, Job had repented.  If there was no conviction, then Job was free to continue on.  When hard things come upon you, first ask God to convict you of sin.  This may not have been an act of sin as much as a heart attitude of sin such as fear, pride, worry, selfishness, etc…  If you are convicted by the Holy Spirit within you, then repent.  If not, then continue on.  Remember that sometimes, God allows the hard things of life to come upon us for our pruning.  He uses it to cut off that which is harmful to us or that is keeping us from growing in Him and His word. 


We can live a life of freedom, joy, righteousness, and hope.  It will not be a life free from trouble or snares.  But when it is all done, I pray that you can speak Job’s words, “Till I die, I will not pur away my integrity from me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment