Monday, February 11, 2013

God of the Moment?


“So the people believed;
and when they heard that the Lord was concerned about the sons of Israel and that He had seen their affliction,
then they bowed low and worshipped.”
Exodus 4:31

This verse is recorded as Moses first returns to Egypt after the burning bush incident.  The people are quick to worship when they think that their affliction will be lifted.  But as Pharaoh continues to refuse their exodus, they begin to grumble and gripe and eventually it all comes to a climax when they are released and find their way to the Mountain of God where they bow down to the golden calf.  The Israelites were fickle people.  I don’t want to be that way.  I want to worship the one, true God whether I am in a time of affliction, poverty, wealth, suffering, etc…  He is the God who loves me no matter what my circumstances are.  He is the God who gave His Son to die for me when I was still a sinner.  He loved me in my shame and pain.  I can do no less, but to love Him no matter what.  My circumstances may change – I may go from bondage into freedom, or from freedom into bondage – but my God never changes!  I will praise Him in the storm and in the sunshine.  I will not bow to the god of the moment in order to manipulate the outcome.  I will be faithful to the end to the Living God.

 I hope that this is the cry of your heart as well.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment