Monday, April 9, 2012

Abide in Him

"As for you, the anointing which you received from Him abides in you, and you have no need for anyone to teach you; but as His anointing teaches you about all things, and is true and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you abide in Him.  Now, little children, abide in Him so that when He appears, we may have confidence and not shrink away from Him in shame at His coming." 1 John 2:27-28

This is truly the key to victorious Christian living.  We were not born again from our own power or works, neither can we walk according to the Spirit without abiding with Jesus continually.  I love the story about Corrie Ten Boom.  She survived the holocaust. Though not Jewish, she was confined to a concentration camp for hiding Jews (Great book: The Hiding Place).  She was released by mistake just days before she would have been killed.  In her older days it was noted of her that she often would be seen talking to herself.  When asked about this, she laughed and said that she was not going senile, but that she was talking to her Lord and Savior!  Oh, that I might abide so closely that I could just carry on an ongoing conversation with Christ.

Another great story about abiding comes from Brother Lawrence.  He tells how to abide in his book, Practicing His Presence.  Brother Lawrence was a kitchen monk hundreds of years ago.  He sought to worship and commune with God while doing his duties in the kitchen.  And there, he found sweet fellowship with His Lord.These are my examples.

Throughout Scripture, we are encouraged to abide, especially in John 15 and in 1, 2, an 3 John.  There are moments where I do well. There are other moments where I am calling out for fellowship.  And still other moments where I completely forget that God is here and in control.  God forgive my unbelief.  Help me to abide in You through the Word, through praise, through prayer, through every moment of every day.  Oh, that I might grow closer to You!

Hint of the Day:  Kids learn by watching you!  Be abiding through praise and adoration, through Bible study, Bible memorization, and talking with others about Christ.  The kids will pick it up and join in.  Something that really helps me to abide is to visualize Jesus walking with me in the garden, or me sitting at His feet, or me dancing before the throne of God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment