Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Obedience without Recognition


“Which of you, having a slave plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come immediately and sit down to eat’?

But will he not say to him, ‘Prepare something for me to eat, and properly clothe yourself and serve me while I eat and drink; and afterward you may eat and drink’?

He does not thank the slave because he did the things which were commanded, does he/

So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, ‘We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.’”

Luke 17:7-10

 
Boy!  Does this passage of Scripture put us in our place!  I struggled for a long time with these verses.  When I do something out of obedience, I still want to be recognized!  But that is not my proper place.  If you struggle with this, then pride still has too high of a seat in the governance of your life.  We are to be servants not only in our actions, but in our attitude of humility and thankfulness.  It is only when we reach this level of obedience that our hearts are right before God.  He is everything – in comparison, we are nothing.  (Even though we are His beloved children that He delights in, He still requires obedience and does not pamper us!)

Do you do your Christian duty hoping for a pat on the back?  Do you respond to God’s voice with arguments or with obedience and praise?  It is a process.  I am no there yet, but I am striving!  I hope you are too!

No comments:

Post a Comment