Wednesday, July 11, 2012

He Restores

"He restores my soul."  Proverbs 23:3

Wow!  I need restoring often.  Restoring is bringing back to original or top condition.  When I sin, when I get apathetic, when I am tired or grumpy or...I need restored.  Physically, restoration comes with a nap, a glass of cool water, or food.  If I have been sick, restoration comes with medication and lots of rest and water!  Spiritually, restoration comes when we rest in Christ, read the Word (food), and commune with the Holy Spirit (water).  When I am really sick spiritually, I need confession, repentance and restoration from God.

Only God can restore our souls.  We can try a new diet, a new outlook, positive thinking, changing our habits or ways, etc... But these things only change the outside and the immediate, never the core of our being or the eternal lasting changes that comes through God's restoration. 

"The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want.  He makes me to lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside still water.  He restores my soul..."  Who better to bring us back to wholeness and restoration than the One who cares so much that He watches over us, provides for our needs, and protects us?  He knows our hearts, our weaknesses, our strengths, our talents, our gifts, and our personalities.  He can try to keep us from falling, but when we willfully disobey and go our own way, He is there to restore us.

"The steps of a man are established by the Lord,
And He delights in his way.
Whe he falls, he will not be hurled headlong,
Becasue the Lord is the One who holds his hand."

He picks us back up and restores us in fellowship, in love, and in truth. 

I needed restoration from the memories of my past, my sinful choices, and the festering pus of suppressed feelings.  I had been a Christian for 34 years.  I had been in the Word, I had walked with my Savior.  He had forgiven all my sins and been my friend, my comforter, my source and my protector.  But, I had not given Him my past.  When depression overtook me, I sought help.  I then realized that there were events, and therefore feelings, that I had not remembered or dealt with from my early childhood.  My Christian counselor and I prayfully began to dig these memories up and as God allowed them to come forth, we began to deal with the poison of my past.  It was not easy, it was messy, it hurt.  but once we lanced that boil and cleaned it out, it could heal.  God was with me through it all and oh the joy on this side of the battle!  God restored my soul to such fullness and healing!  I had never known that depth of love and release and joy and peace before!

Let God restore your soul.  He desires that you be whole.  Let Him be Lord of your past, then you will be free to allow Him full Lordship of your present and your future! 

Hint for the Day:  Be honest with God.  It is okay to be angry with God, to question Him to let Him know that you are not happy.  He is big enough; He can handle your emotions.  If you have never expressed strong emotion before it is helpful to have a safe friend or counselor with you.  find a physical release.  Throw some yucky plates at a wall, swing a bat at an old beat up car, hit your teddy bear.  And spew out the anger and frustration, your deepest feelings.  Saying them will be like lancing a pus pocket and letting out the anger.  Then have someone safe that can pray with you and lead you into God's truth helping you to begin the restoration process.  "...be transformed by the Word of God." (Romans 12:2)  Make sure you are surrounded by Godly counsel and that you are moving away from the hurt and bitterness.  God will restore!

Hint for the Day 2: Make sure that your kids are dealing with feelings as they go along in life and are not bottling them up.  Give them opportunities to share without fear of reprisal.  Let them be mad (but not disrespectful).  Allow them to question and learn.  Then help them come to full restoration through prayer and Bible study.

No comments:

Post a Comment