Tuesday, June 26, 2012

God Delights in You

"They confronted me in the day of my calamity,
But the Lord was my stay.
He brought me forth also into a broad place;
He rescued me, because He delighted in me."
Psalm 18:18-19

Did you know that God delights in you?  This is really profound.  We are sinners; we mess up; but God, Our Father, delights in us!  Why?  Just because we are His!  That's right - not because we are cute, or we do good things, or because others like us, but just because we are His!  Listen to Psalm37:23 - "The steps of a man are established by the Lord, And He delights in his way."

Annabel Gilham found this truth out by loving her own son.  You see, her son was profoundly retarded.  He could not communicate in any way.  When he was a teenager, he was just too big for her to care for at home.  She and her husband put this son into an institution that could better care for his needs, but he got to come home on weekends.  One day she was washing dishes while this boy sat in his chair nearby.  She was humming and singing, "Jesus  Loves You,"  when she was overcome with love for this child.  This child that never kissed her or said that he loved her.  He had never done anything for her and he certainly wasn't hansdome.  But she loved him.  She got down on his eye level and told him how much she loved him.  He could not respond, but God very quietly told her that He loved her with such depth as well.  This was hard for Annabel because she always earned her love with performance.  to think that God could love her just because she belonged to Him was a new and amazing concept. 

My story is much the same.  To think that God loves me, Dara, just because?!  Wow!!!  I grew up trying to recieve love and approval based on my "goodness".  It was never enough.  But my Heavenly Father loves me just because He made me and He delights in me!

Take a minute and thank God for that unconditional love.  If you don't really believe it, ask God to reveal His love to you.  He will!

Hint for the Day: Your kids need to know that your love and acceptance is not based on performance or looks but rather that it is just because they are yours.  Try celebrating your love for them with a picnic or a special dinner with your good plates.  When they ask why? tell them that it is just because they are yours!  Tell them often, especially when they aren't being lovely or when they haven't just done something wonderful.  surprise them with an "I'm so glad your mine!"

No comments:

Post a Comment