Thursday, May 31, 2012

It’s Okay to Ask Questions

“Every word of God is tested;
He is a shield to those who take refuge in Him.”
Proverbs 30:5

There is blind belief and there is belief based upon proven fact.  We visited a church this past Sunday that issued a challenge to the people to test God’s word.  They said that if you tithe for 60 days and do not see God provide for you, then the church would write you a check for the full amount that you had given over those two months.   This is based on Malachi 3:10, “’Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me in this,’ says the Lord of Hosts, ‘if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.’”    Lord of Hosts is God’s battle name.  He is saying, “I am the commander.  I will take care of your needs because you are under My command.”  God says to test Him.  His word will stand.  It has stood against time and kingdoms and insurrections.  God can handle your questioning, your anger, your discussion.  His word will stand, and in the process, you will climb upon the solid rock. 

When life happens and you have walked with God and lived a biblically pure life, but still find yourself a victim of sin or circumstances, it is natural to wonder and ask and question and fume.  Use your anger and need for justice to seek out answers from the God Who Is The Answer.  Job questioned God. David questioned God.  I have questioned God.  If we are honest with ourselves we have all questioned God.  There are some that live by blind faith, “God says it, I believe it, end of story.”  But the honest ones will say that they got there because they questioned and found God faithful.  Others say it because they are afraid to question because, “What if God can’t stand up to the test?”

I became a Christian by searching for truth.  I had a Times Life coffee table book called Religions of the World.  I read it and studied it and found truth only in Christianity.  I read the Bible and started attending a church.  I began to see the God of creation.  I began believing in Jesus and His offer of redemption through  the cross.  When I was confronted with becoming a Christian, it was the next right step because the word of God had proved true in my life.  It did not take away the facts of child abuse or take me out of my situation.  But it answered the big questions and filled a need for unconditional love and acceptance in my life.  I have questioned God often since my conversion at age 13.  Why do I have to suffer so much pain?  Why do I have to lose a friend?  Why does my friend have cancer?  Why did my son’s wife leave after just 13 months of marriage?  Why do kids have to deal with the sins of their parents?  Why doesn’t God come down and right wrongs and injustices?  I have tried to understand.  I have formulated answers.  I have thrown some away and have stuck to others.  But through it all my relationship with God has not wavered.  It has grown.  It has changed. 

God is infinite.  I am not.  God is not limited to time.  I am.  God is the answer; He does not have to give me all the answers.  But as I cry out to understand, through His word and His presence He reassures me that He is in control; that He loves me; and that His promises are forever.  For a time there is sadness and crying, but He will wipe away the tears.  We see in a mirror dimly, but then we will understand it all.

Hint of the Day:  Get alone with God.  Cry, scream, question, and be still.  Let God comfort you and minister to your heart.  Seek Him not for answers, but as the Answer.  I know a couple of people who actually set up a chair in their closet as their prayer closet.  I often find myself in the car parked at a park or behind a church.  Anywhere private will do.  But be honest.  Be real.  God can handle our emotions.  He made them.  He made us.  And most of all, He cares.  God may come to you immediately or He may not.  Continue on until you know that you have been in His presence.  Leave rejoicing.




No comments:

Post a Comment